Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Doctors Visit Tomorrow 5/22

Sorry for the mass postings this evening.

I thought I would give an update as to what Jake's schedule looks like for the next couple of days.

Tomorrow we are heading into the clinic. They are going to take another blood sample and check to see where all of his levels are at. In addition to the blood test, they are going to give him a transfusion of platelets to prepare him for Friday.

On Friday morning, he will be going in for an out-patient surgical procedure. They will be doing another bone marrow biopsy as well as a spinal tap. These are part of the standard process so that the doctors can make sure his bone marrow is responding to the treatment and to make sure that no leukemia cells have moved into his spinal fluid. Jake told me tonight that he is not worried about the surgery at all. He didn't remember or feel anything the last time he had his surgery, so he is completely at ease with Friday's procedures.

He continues to amaze me with his understanding of this situation as well as his ability to grasp all the steps that are being taken to help cure him of this sickness. We had another discussion this evening about the fact that it will not be too much longer before he will start to lose some of his hair. I explained that Josh and I are both going to shave our heads as well to help support him. He was a little concerned about this and doesn't really want us to cut our hair. He said that he doesn't want us to have to deal with people laughing at us. Unfortunately, by digging a little deeper on that one he commented that he expects people to laugh and make fun of him when his hair falls out. I tried to explain to him that I think he is underestimating people and that I would be very surprised if anyone laughed. We talked about some different hats that he could wear. He is wanting to get some Minnesota Twins hats to wear when all this happens. We'll have to see if we can find a couple of them here in Colorado since this is not Twins territory.

Pray for us tomorrow as we get his blood tests. We are expecting the white and red cell counts to be low, but we are asking God to make sure that the rest of the counts are right where they need to be to allow him to remain at home. He had such a good day today and commented that he liked being able to sleep in his own bed and play with his own toys.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Tanya,

How many times have you told me that you would love to cut your hair as short as mine? I think this would be the PERFECT time to join your hubby & sons in their future hair endeavors and endulge yourself with a cute, short, sassy, summer do! LOL

Debbie

The McShane Family said...

Hi Jake, glad you had fun playing outside! I missed seeing you today. I will see you on Friday morning before your surgery.

Hi Josh, have I told you today that you rock? You totally do!

Love,
Pastor Kathy

Ethan & Emily say hi!

tanya said...

Debbie

I was right with you in thinking that - in fact I had made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Then I thought, maybe Jake would have fun using the clippers on me himself only to be told that he likes it long. Guess I will be canceling that appointment for tomorrow. Of course he also suggested I go blonde...

Tanya

Anonymous said...

Jake, your Twins hat will be in the mail this weekend.
Tiff, the Boys and I will be happy to hook you up with a couple of those, and 1 Wild hat.

Mike

Anonymous said...

I am so overwhelmed by my love for all of you I hardly know what to write. Thanks for a great weekend in March. You truly blessed us beyond measure. We love you all and we're praying for supernatural strength for the journey. Rachelle and the boys
p.s. Jake, Pastor Greg shaved all his hair off about 2 weeks ago accidently!

Anonymous said...

So Jake, I want to know what kind of superpowers will activate for us if we get to wear your wristband?

And Tanya - I'm for a going-blonde look for you! OOOOO la la! Hey, let us know when you need a girls' night out. I know you're probably feeling like you don't want to leave right now, but whenever you want, entertaining silliness and female chatter can be provided at whatever venue you decide!!!

Love you guys!
Vicki

tanya said...

Rachelle -

If there happen to be any photo's of PGAG with his head shaved - those NEED to be sent our way!

T

ronda said...

anxious to hear about the doctors today - lots of love and prayers your way :)
RJ

Anonymous said...

Brian and Tanya,

Please allow us the privilige of getting a few Minnesota Twins hats for Jake! We will be going to Rochester on May 30th for Roald's surgery on June 3rd and will be there for a little over a week most likely. I would be honored to spend a little spare time hunting down a few great hats in official Twins territory!

We will continue to pray for Jake and I am so glad to have this blog to track his progress and your prayer needs. You all are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

Lots of love,
Libby and family

Brad said...

I personally think that Tanya would look great with a shiny bald pate!

I sent out an email on this earlier because I can't see or comment on comments at work.

I challenge all of the men in our life group(and women if you dare) to shave your heads!

And any one else who wishes to rally around Jake