Friday, June 6, 2008

How big is your God?

I am not sure how many people who visit this site have a relationship with God vs. those who don't. But for those of you who don't, let me share a little bit about how big OUR God is.

Jacob went into the Dr. today for another round of Chemotherapy administered via IV. During this visit, he also had a blood draw done so that they could check his cell counts and immune levels. Not sure if you remember, but a couple of weeks ago we got the results and Jake's ANC level was up from 40-50 to 180. For a normal, healthy individual, counts will be between 1500-8000. When this level gets as low as 500, the body's immune system is incredibly vulnerable to infection as it will have a very difficult time fighting off the bad bacteria. Today's counts for Jacob were 1130.

In case you missed that - I said it was at 1130



Because of these counts being as high as they are, the Dr. gave him the OK to go swimming and he can be taken off of all dietary restrictions. With his body improving at this rate, they said that he is at the extreme high-end of expected recovery rate. He is improving at a much better rate than any of us could have expected. Because of this, we are celebrating this evening by going out for pizza and ice cream. Jake has had a craving for Old Chicago for a few weeks now, so we felt this was the perfect time.


So back to my initial question, how big is your God?

Our God DOES hear our prayers and the prayers of our loved ones.
Our God DOES take tough situations and turns them into good.
Our God DOES bring healing to the broken.
Our God DOESN'T leave us or forsake us when times get tough.
Our God DOES love His children
Our God IS a miraculous God.

He truly is the God of Jacob!!!!!

Here's to a great start to the weekend.

9 comments:

ronda said...

don't know where my first post went? we are rejoicing with you and did you leave me a cinnamon roll or is your mom going to make me a fresh batch :)

Brian said...

Sorry about that Ronda - you were too quick on the draw for me. I was making some edits to try and clean up the formatting of the post.

I'll talk to Jake and see if he is willing to give up one of the last remaining cinnamon rolls.

Anonymous said...

Have a great time swimming and eating pizza! Sure wish we could be there to celebrate with you! Eat a piece of pizza for Nat, Donovan and Devon!
Love you lots!

The McShane Family said...

That is awesome news! How cool is God!

Enjoy your pizza and ice cream, and I hope to see you soon!

Love,
Pastor Kathy, Ted, Emily & Ethan

Anonymous said...

This is such amazing news!! Our God is so great! Thanks for reminding us of that! We are so grateful to God for doing such marvelous work in Jake's body! What a better way to celebrate than to go out for pizza and ice cream!!! Enjoy! We are looking forward to swimming with you sometime soon!
Matthew said yesterday that Joshua and Jacob were his best friends =)
We love you!
Leon Family

Kate said...

It was awesome to see you all at church tonight :) Even if I was blocking the view ;)

What amazing, amazing news - we continue to pray for total recovery.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Hooray! That is AMAZING news! It is so incredible to hear your story. We will continue to pray for Jake and your family. Hope to see you soon!

The Fox Family

Unknown said...

Fantastic news! Isn't it simply amazing how much can take place is a matter of weeks!

I have been a faithful blog reader since the beginning of this whole situation and often I have felt prompted to leave a comment. Unfortunately, I always felt I couldn't find the right words, so I would dismiss that prompting and just continue to read and pray.

Tonight I felt that promting again and I figured I'd act on it :)

I just want you guys to know how much I love and adore your family. You are a wonderful example of faith, love and hope in action and I aspire to model that in my family as well.

That first Sunday after Jake's initial diagnosis when Hilary and I sat next to Brian and Josh at church service, I was suprisingly very emotional and really couldn't even talk to Brian because every time I got near him I just starting tearing up. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you all have been in my thoughts absolutely every single day and I have been praying more than ever before.

You are the salt and the light and God sees that and is working in your life ... what a fantastic testimony!

Jake ... you are my biggest superhero right now. I am amazed at your strength and courage. You are an amazing boy and will become an even more amazing man as you live out your life!

With all kinds of love in my heart,
Kenyon

One Picky Family said...

Woo hoo!! Praise God from whom all blessing flow!! That is just way awsome!

Wendy in Boston